It is addressed to teachers of primary and secondary education (kindergarten teachers, teachers of classes and specialties) and secondary education who have a school team and with which they intend within the framework of the program to create a short film based on the annual objectives of the program.
The aim of the program is the understanding and knowledge of basic principles of cinema and the creation of short films in the school units of primary and secondary education. The aim is to return to the social character of cinema. It is addressed to teachers who wish to organize film groups in their school (teacher, students of a school class and their parents or teacher and students of a school).
Then, we present in detail the curriculum for educational and educational program: Cine Lessons / Creating a Film in a School Environment (Documentary, Fiction, Animation).
Objectives of the programme:
The broader objective of the action is the, through the design and operation of a film team in the school, the achievement of steps towards cinematic literacy, i.e. the acquisition of skills, not only of viewing / consumption (use) but also of critical evaluation of audiovisual products (aiming at the creation of visual concepts and the production of visual messages). The activities of the film team will offer the opportunities to teachers, students and parents for a sequential transition from the viewing-enjoyment of the film, the spontaneous expression of emotions and the description, to the investigation of emotions, the decoding of the creator's intentions, and will lead to expression-creation. Particular emphasis is given to the approach of local and oral history through the documentary.
Individual goals for teachers, students, parents:
- The cultivation of film education at school.
- The ability to watch films that belong to different genres (narrative, documentary, animation, etc.)
- The enjoyment of viewing.
- To highlight/understand the social role of cinema.
- The acquisition of technical/selection strategies (critical appraisal) of films as conscious viewers.
- The knowledge and approach of tools/media, film technology and its extensions.
- Acquaintance with the methods and techniques by which the film product is produced.
- The development of a critical attitude (study-research) towards film products (expressive conventions and visual media).
- The approach of social issues through films.
- The use of audiovisual tools to develop personal expression skills.
- The creation of a short film in the context of the school team
- Tracing local and oral history and capturing it in a short documentary
Particular aim for teachers:
The acquisition of skills in the design of film literacy activities and their implementation either in the school or in the context of informal education.
Program duration: Seven (7) months
Program Training Steps
The programme, in terms of its educational dimension, is carried out via the Internet (synchronous distance training meetings) as well as through interactive meetings. As for its educational dimension (implementation of activities in the school group), it presupposes the face-to-face teaching of the participants.
The training steps:
Following the relevant public call for participation
(a) The participating teachers participate, every twenty (20) days in synchronous distance or in face-to-face training sessions. In the first sessions, the basic terms of cinema and cinematic expression are approached and presented. In the framework of the meetings, experiential actions and expression exercises are planned and implemented. Relevant material is distributed to the participants with access to our relevant educational platform
(b) At this stage, the participating teachers have a special approach to the script creation section as well as to the documentary and local – oral history section. At this stage, both filmmakers and historians are involved in the training. At the same time, experiential exercises are designed and implemented. At the same time, the participating teachers are invited to form their teams at the level of the school unit.
(c) Participating teachers and their groups are invited to propose a script idea for the creation of their film
(d) The participating teachers together with their students' groups attend joint training sessions on the basic principles of film creation and acquaintance with the means of cinema.
(e) Each school group under the supervision of its trainer processes its script proposal and through personalized meetings (face-to-face or remote) proceeds and shapes its scenario until its maturation for filming.
(g) The school team, with the support of the program and the supervision of its trainer, proceeds to the shooting of the film.
(h) The school team, with the support of the program and the supervision of its trainer, proceeds to the decoding of its material and the editing of the film.
The complete film of each school group is posted on a special channel of the Chania International Film Festival.
The completed film is also the final project for the participating teachers and their groups.
For the proper implementation of the program:
- Educational material in electronic form (e-book) is provided, in order to facilitate the trainees in cases where they prefer its printed version.
- The necessary technical equipment is provided for the training
- The necessary professional equipment is provided for the filming and finishing of the films
- The support is provided by professional filmmakers – partners of the program.
At the same time, full educational support is provided, given that the trainee can address electronically (for the duration of each course) to his / her trainer, through an integrated electronic communication system, for the immediate resolution of questions related to the thematic units and the evaluation exercises or the final assignment.